New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) requires all registered or licensed child care programs in New York State that choose to administer medication other than topical ointments, sunscreen, and insect repellent to children in their care to comply with the following training and certification requirements under the OCFS Health and Safety Regulations:
- Hold a current certificate in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and First Aid that covers the age group(s) to whom you will administer medication
- Successfully complete the OCFS approved SUNY Medication Administration Training (MAT)
- Be able to read in the language in which health care provider instructions and parental permissions are received
- Have a health care consultant to review and sign-off on your program's health care plan and staff certificates of training (MAT, CPR & First Aid) to administer medication to children
For more information about administering medication, visit http://www.ocfs.state.ny.us/main/childcare/mat/default.asp
KEEPING CHILDREN IN CHILD CARE HEALTHY
CDSC ensures that all modalities of child care programs have access to services that promote a strong healthy environment. CDSC employs a part time registered nurse who provides health consultancy services that support child care providers throughout New York City. The services provided include, but are not limited to:
These services can be provided over the phone by calling Merlyn Lynch, RN at 718-398-6738 ext. 8534 through email firstname.lastname@example.org or, by conducting onsite visits to the program. All licensed, registered, prospective, and legally exempt providers/programs are eligible for health consultant services.
- Facilitation of the Medication Administration Training,
- Assisting providers and programs in complying with regulations pertaining to the health care plan requirements for the administration of medications,
- Acting as a resource person for questions regarding care of mildly ill children.
Child Health Plus - New York State health care plan for children sponsored by the NYS Department of Health. Eligibility depends on gross family income. Call this toll-free number: 1-800-698-4KIDS or click on the following link http://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/child_health_plus for more information.